Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wellness Wednesday: be a Mover & a Shaker!

Getting and staying in shape with kids is a struggle.  It reminds me of when grandparents tell the "when I was your age I walked to school 4 miles, barefoot, uphill both ways, and still had energy to help with chores when I came home in the afternoon!"  story.  We try to eat right, but convenience usually gets in the way.  We try to exercise but time usually gets in the way.  We have every intention of being good to our bodies but there always seems to be a stumbling block in our path.
Last week I started TRYING to get healthy again: I started walking, with my son.  Sam is almost 14 months old and is still a good stroller napper so I figure I should take this chance while I have it.  I go home at night, change, and take Sam out for 4-6 miles while Dad has some "ME" time of his own.  I get time with Sam...it's a win-win for everyone.  I logged 22 miles, by walking a couple miles for five of the seven days last week.  I was shocked!  Who knew an hour here and an hour there could equal 22 miles???
On rainy days (which we have in abundance this time of year in Chicago!) we have family dance party!  This is when we put on music or one of Sam's music kids shows and we ALL dance.  We dance fast, we dance slow.  But we really, really move.  Sam can shake it with the best of them, so we repeat his moves or show him a new one and he tries it out.  It's always loads of fun, and great together time.  It may only last 15-20 minutes, or may go on for 45, depending upon everyone's energy level.  We started it to get Sam tired for bed...but it usually just exhausts US.

I'm learning that I MUST take time for fitness.  Pressed for time?  No problem: you don't need a gym to be healthy.  Get up and dance with your kids.  Or walk with your kids.  Or walk with your kids in the stroller.  Or play soccer in the back yard.  Or ANYTHING.  Just get up and MOVE!

What are you doing/can you do to add more fitness into your days?

No comments: