Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Getting in Shape

Last week I was given the Ok by my doctor to start exercising again. It drove me absolutely crazy that I couldn't do any physical activity during my last pregnancy. I was considered "high risk" due to my age, previous miscarriage, and being on blood thinners. What I was allowed to do during my pregnancy was walk, at a snails pace, and swim if I wanted. Neither was too appealing to me as I LOVE to workout and working out means breaking a sweat. I have been working out at home to the POWER 90 series for the last week and I must say that it is kicking my butt. I am sore, I am tired but it feels good to be moving, to feel the burn.

Strangely enough, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight in only 4 weeks after my son was born. This was absolutely miraculous as it took me 2 years to get back in shape after each of my daughters was born. The only difference this time is that my son nurses like crazy, round the clock ,which burns up like a billion calories a day. Also, I haven't been eating or sleeping like I should due to the fact that I have 2 other children at home that need my attention. It's a busy household and eating means that I get whatever is left on one of the kids plates and getting sleep isn't even in my plans as the baby nurses every couple of hours and my 4 year old has regressed and wakes up thru the night.

So here is my plan:
1.To eat like a normal person, at least 3 meals a day with a goal of 5 small meals a day.
2.To include some kind of physical activity daily
3. To stay off of the scale and measure my success by how my clothing fits
4. To get rid of all of the wobbly places on my body!
5. To make healthy food choices and enjoy my meals
6.To never feel guilty for eating something that I enjoy


How did you get back into shape after having children? how long did it take to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight?

1 comment:

Sam's mom said...

okay -- you have inspired me. I gained over 40 lbs of "paper pregnancy" weight with Sam and HAVE to lose it. I HAVE to get into better shape and be healthier. I need to set some goals for myself and post them to "keep honest" about fitness.