Monday, October 26, 2009

The Chopping Block

For todays "ME Monday" I thought I'd tell you about how my girlfriend and I took a little time out for ourselves last Friday. A month or so ago we booked a Bread Making class for ourselves in Chicago during the day while our children are at school. Little did we know that a field trip was scheduled for this same day to the Pumpkin Patch for our 4 year olds. Here comes the GUILT. We both felt quite a bit guilty for not volunteering to chaperone but also wanted to take some time for ourselves.

Friday was a rainy cold day and when we dropped the kids off at school we found out at the Field Trip was cancelled, WHEW..guilt be gone. Our cooking class was at The Chopping Block in Lincoln Square. There where only 5 of us in the class plus our instructor. We made wonderful poppyseed and sesame seed bagels, Focaccia Bread with with Rosemary, Goat Cheese and Sundried Tomatoes, and Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls....all with our hands and all from scratch. First I must say, that their kitchen setup is AMAZING as well as all of their gadgets. Our class was scheduled for 10-12:30 and I think we finished up at about 1:00. We learned alot about making breads and the science behind it but more than anything we were in the MOMENT. It was such an enjoyable experience: the feel of the dough between your fingers, the smell of the breads baking, seeing the finished products...a very peaceful experience. Oh, and did I mention that you get to bring everything you made HOME!!! YUM....

Our children didn't even know that we took time for ourselves and the laundry and everything else was still waiting when we got home!

If you enjoy cooking, take a class!Freshen up on your skills or learn new ones, take the time for yourself!

What are you doing for yourself on this ME Monday?

1 comment:

Sam's mom said...

Sounds great! You needed that time. I cannot believe you've had a date weekend and girlfriend time...and I cannot seem to leave my boy for more than 20 minutes...and that's when he's with dad.
I need to take a page from your playbook my friend!