Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Scared straight

I just heard a story on NPR that scared the crap out of me.  Well, actually, it scared the Diet Coke out of me.  I have a habit.  And it's not healthy (okay, if you read this blog you know that I have more than one non-healthy habit, but let's stick to Diet Coke for now.)  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Diet Coke.  I drink A LOT of it.  I've always told myself that since it's DIET, then it's not bad for me.  But, let's face it, it has additives and fake stuff and ZERO nutritional value.  It's also dehydrating, so in reality I should be drinking 24 oz water for every 12 oz soda I consume.

The tough facts from the story: Dr. Harold Goldstein, a physician and executive director of the California Center for Public Health Advocacy compiled research drawing on interviews with more than 40,000 Californians about their soda-drinking habits. "This study that we did with UCLA showed that regardless of income or ethnicity, adults who drink one or more soda a day are 27 percent more likely to be overweight or obese," Goldstein says. On average, Goldstein says, Americans drink 50 gallons of soda a year. He says it should be taxed so the beverage industry pays its fair share for the obesity epidemic.


I'm already obese, so I really need no more incentive to finally give up the lovely bubbly.  I'll figure out a way.  We have La Crox in our office, which is literally carbonated water and lemon.  No sugar, no fake stuff.  I think that will have to be my crutch.  And the headaches?  Well I'm NOT going to increase my coffee intake (just 1 cup/day), so I'll have to suffer for about 1 week and then should be over the worst.  In Ethiopia I had no soda for a month and was fine. 
 
Is there something in your diet/lifestyle that you KNOW is not healthy but continue to consume/do?  Do you have plans to change that?

2 comments:

Zenful Mommy said...

there is an exhibit right now at the Museum in the city that shows how much you would gain if you drank one soda a day for a year. They say if you give up soda you will lose 10 to 20 pounds in the year

Stephanie said...

I once gave up caffeine altogether (no coffee or soda) and lost 6 pounds in a week! I am now totally addicted to coffee again and I let myself have soda on those bad days. I mostly am good about no soda, but somedays a mom just needs an extra kick!