Friday, January 8, 2010

Roasted corn, pepper & egg scramble


We have 12 inches of snow and are in hibernation mode over here in Sam Land.  Literally, it's 12 noon and we're still in jammies.  I wanted to make something FAST for breakfast, but in light of my new-found dedication to health in the new year (hello! the AWBC is only 6 months away!) I wanted to make something good for me and Sam (since he always eats what I do.)  I rummaged around in the fridge and freezer and came up with this in about 5 minutes.



Roasted corn, pepper & egg scramble **

For 1 large serving (to be split w/ a toddler) or 2 small servings with toast:

2 large eggs (broken and scrambled in a bowl w/ a little salt)
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c corn (frozen is fine)
1 t garlic, chopped
handfull of shreaded cheese
PAM or other non-stick spray

Coat skillet w/ Pam, then put on medium-high heat.  If your corn is frozen, put it in the pan first w/ 1 T of water and let it thaw.  Then add the garlic & pepper w/ some S&P to taste.  Cook long enough to get some color on the pepper and corn (I like them carmelized!), then add your egg.  Stir around and just before the egg is set, sprinkle on some cheese.  We used moz because that's what we had in the house and it was delicious!

** if you had more time than I did, you could remove the veggies when cooked, and make the egg into a formal omlette, then add the veggies & cheese and fold over.

Per serving: approx 200 cal (depending upon your egg size), 13 g carb, 18 g protein, 12 g fat, and 2 g fiber.

Oh, and did you spy my fabulous Breast Cancer mug in the picture?  Just another reminder of the upcoming AWBC in June.

No comments: