Monday, January 11, 2010

Going Veg

I used to be vegetarian.  I kept it up religiously for 8 months once, and then 9 months after a break of about 1 year.  I was good: tofu, eggs, dairy, beans for protein.  But I'd fallen off the wagon for about 1 year again.  Now I'm back on, and really committed. 
You see, for me eating veg is eating healthy.  I don't eat prepared (ie: frozen food section) veg protein patties (high in sat. fats), I don't eat gobs of cheese pizza or grilled cheese sandwiches, or other similarly fatty foods.  When I'm veg I'm hard core.
They say it takes 28 days to make a habit and 90 days to break it.  I've been completely veg (no fish) for 7 days now.  I was semi (just a bit of fish and one meal w/ turkey) for about 28 days prior. The first week is always the toughest and I feel like I'm really on track now.  Hard because my husband is a chef, and makes lovely pork & veal meatloaf, roast chicken and Italian sausage regularly...but after 1 week, I must admit the thought of those foods make my stomach turn.
My fridge is stocked w/ eggs, low-fat dairy, and tofu.  My pantry is stocked with dried and canned beans and quinoa (a grain high in protein.)  I even have veg chili (tofu &  red beans) for lunches.
I must say, I FEEL better when veg.  Not necessarily thinner or anything like that, just better.  Like my insides are getting clean.

I'm pretty proud of myself, making this commitment.  I hope to keep this habit FOR LIFE this time.

Have you recently made any dietary changes that make you feel GOOD on the inside?

4 comments:

Zenful Mommy said...

I totally agree! I have gone back to Veg...craved meat while pregnant but no longer have any interest in it! I am here to support you!

Writer Unleashed said...

My daughter has just turned vegetarian. She says she feels much better for it. She is inspiring me but I'm not quite ready yet to make the leap.

Anonymous said...

Hi Inner Hot Mama!

I have been doing a cleanse since the beginning of the year and right now I am back to being vegan after many years of not.
I'm almost eating completely raw right now, what I don't eat raw is in the form of steel cut oatmeal and soup.
I don't know that I'll stay completely vegan, but I'm going to stick with it for sure a bit longer.

BTW, I'm now following you through Networked Blogs and Google follow.

Aine
http://theevolvingspirit.blogspot.com

Katherine Jenkins said...

Hi-I have a very sensitive stomach and was vegetarian for awhile. I've worked with a nutritionist who has helped me with foods that work for me. I love your egg scramble recipe..I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for following me, I'm following you now. Peace, Kathy