Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Yoga Chiropractics

Stretching is part of any well-balanced fitness program.  It helps prevent injury.  We know that.  But did you know that stretching is, in and of itself, exercise.  Serious, calorie-burning exercise?  Well it is. It's call YOGA.  In it's truest, most basic form, yoga is a tradition of physical and mental discipline.  Yoga is a calming of the mind through meditation + stretching positions called poses.  Its learning to breath, and moving your body with those breaths.  Believe it or not, there are loads of different ways to breath and each one benefits the body in different ways.  Similarly, each yoga pose benefits the different muscle groups in different ways.  Oh and balance...did I mention the balance?  For an extremely clumsy person like me, yoga is a god-send of balance perfection.  I swear I don't fall down as much as I used to, because I've learned my center of gravity and how to properly hold my posture.
But even if you don't want to meditate or do "hot yoga" at your gym with a bunch of sweaty bodies, you can do yoga.  It sounds intimidating at first, but it isn't.  Like anything else, it takes practice.  You likely already know some yoga poses and don't even know they are poses at all.  This site has a good run-down of basic poses along with pictures.  This blog has daily poses and breathing techniques ... like you are doing a group practice without the group.   


Back to the title of this post: yoga chiropractics.  Sam is quite a toll on my body, especially my back.  I didn't go from a 6 lb baby to a 20 lb baby gradually as birth moms do.  Nope.  I started w/ a 15 pounder.  That was TOUGH.  And it still is, as Sammy likes to be carried, a lot.  I have found some basic yoga stretches completely decompress my spine after a long day with Sammy.  I cannot begin to imagine the chiropractor bills I've saved just by learning and DOING a few simple yoga poses.
Now, I'm green, don't get me wrong.  I need to do yoga more consistently, and I need to branch out on my poses.  I used to do yoga practice at the gym once a week, religiously; but if you read this blog regularly, you'll know I'm afraid to go back to the gym and lose precious time w/ Sammy.  So I do it at home.  And that's OKAY.
The best thing about yoga is that it doesn't require equipment or anything special.  You can do it at home in comfy clothing, or at the office in your desk chair.  Its accessable and attainable.  And you feel the benefits immediately.

Have you ever done yoga or taken a class/bought a video?  Are you interested?  How has yoga helped you?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I have to do the above cat pose every day. The boys kill my back! I need to do more, but that is all I do for now.