Thursday, November 12, 2009

Guilty pleasures

Guilty pleasures...we all have them.  Those little things that we don't tell many people about.   The safe secrets that aren't harmful but we're a bit embarrassed about.  I personally think guilty pleasures are healthy...its good to have that not-so-typical part of yourself.  It helps balance your life.  My guilty pleasure?  It's not really a secret.  It's more of an obsession.  It's 7 days and 14 hours away.  You guessed it!  Twilight.

Yes, I too am one of those middle aged moms obsessed with the books and movies.  I too fantasize that both Edward and Jacob are in love with little 'ole plain-Jane me.  Why you ask?  Why would an educated working mom be interested in "young adult" novels about vampires? 
Let me explain: I grew up in a painfully small farming and factory town.  Our consolidated high school had less than 400 students TOTAL.  I graduated with 87 others and very few ever left said painfully small town.  I knew from a very young age that reading was my favorite form of escapism and that an education would get ME out of said painfully small town.  So I devoured books.  I spent an unhealthy amount of time at the library.  I wasn't pretty or popular.  I was a geek in the truest sense of the word.  I never took a study hall.  I completed 6 years of math and science.  I had a near perfect GPA.  I took college courses in HS.   I was, GASP! in band on top of all this.  So, needless to say, the boy didn't run to my doorstep.  They didn't even notice me.  Sure, I had boys who were friends, but I don't think they even thought of me as female, let alone desirable.
I have never lost my lust for reading or knowledge.  I usually read about 1-2 books a week.  And one day, I found the Twilight series.  And I once again escaped my normal benign existance and was magically transported back to HS.  But this was a much better experience, because I was Bella Swan.  I was just a typical girl, yet the most beautiful, intelligent and sensitive boy in the school wanted ME.  And the next year, my best friend turned into 6'5" of muscled hotness and wanted ME too.  And I had adventure (be it dangerous and oft-time life-threatening) and mystery and excitement.  Everything I DID NOT have in my own HS experience.
So, I love Twilight.  I've re-read the books too many times.  I bought advanced tickets for New Moon (opens Nov 20th.) 

This is MY guilty pleasure.  What's yours?

2 comments:

Liz The Mad Middle Aged Mom said...

OMG -- I'm right there with you! I even have tickets to the midnight show -- can't wait. Go TEAM EDWARD!

dunlapfabfive said...

LOVE this post!!