Friday, November 27, 2009

New Thanksgiving tradition: Bacon Beans


I tried something new for this year's Thanksgiving feast and it was a big hit, so I thought I'd share with you.  I think these would be great for any meal, any time of the year.  They are SO easy in the crock pot...but the flavor is amazing.

BACON BEANS
Amounts approximate for 3 qt yield

2 lbs of fresh green beans, washed & trimmed
1 lb bacon, cooked & patted dry.  (I used pork for my DH, but I think Turkey bacon or even veg protein bacon (not-bacon) would be lovely.)
1/2-1 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 small onion, chopped (optional)
1/4 c chicken or veg broth
splash lemon juice
Salt & Pepper to taste

Crumble cooked bacon.  Put everything but the lemon juice in a 4 qt crock pot.  Stir to combine.  Set crock on HIGH and walk away for 2 hours.  Stir & check tenderness at 2 hour mark.  If you like tender-crisp they should be done, if you like a softer bean, continue cooking another hour.  S & P to taste.  Add the lemon juice just before serving.

If you have a favorite Thanksgiving recipe this year, please leave it in the comments section, or create a link to your blog.

No comments: