Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Food diary, week 2

Not to worry; I don't plan on using my journey on Calorie King as permanent filler for Wellness Wednesday, but I do want to talk about a few more aspects of the program. 

Food diaries
Now, you could do this on your own, or in any other program.  My mom used to do this for a weight loss group she was in, back in the 80s.  I have found the food diary the hardest and most useful part of this program.  Writing down every single thing that passes your lips in quite powerful.  It makes you accountable, and if you're like me its a real shock to see what you consume in a 24 hour period.  The calories and nutrients are calculated by the program, so you just have to log the food and drink.  I was amazed by the calories in a simple sandwich, salad or soup out at a restaurant: SERIOUS hidden calories!  By being accountable for my calorie intake, I'm getting educated and am making educated choices on the foods I eat and beverages I drink.  Even after just 2 weeks, I'm looking into getting the most fiber, the healthiest carbs and fat, the "right" protein. 
Being conscious of what's going into my body is also making me conscious of what's going into my son's body.  In the end, this journey to health and fitness will not only benefit me, and set an example for my son, but it will also MAKE me feed him the most wholesome food possible.  And that's a pretty terrific thing, if you ask me.

How conscious are you of the foods you eat and feed your children?

No comments: