Thursday, December 17, 2009

Best soup ever!

I know I should be posting a holiday recipe today, but I simply HAD to share this quick, easy and DEEE.LISH.US soup with you.  Its from my friend Christine, over at Five Gems.  Christine is a super-busy mom of 5 amazing kids, ranging from 1 to 18 years!  Christine and her husband work very hard to feed their children the healthiest meals possible and the whole family is veg (by choice.)  I tweaked this recipe a bit, because I used what I had in the house at the time.  Please tweak it yourself and let me know the results!

Chickpea & Fire Roasted Tomato Soup

For 4 servings:
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes, undrained (use whatever you have in the house -- I used tomatos w/ green chilies)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 onion, chopped
1 T garlic, chopped
16 oz broth (chicken or veg)
Herbs/seasoning to your taste **

Sautee the garlic & onion in some EVOO over medium-high heat until the onion is translucent.   Add all other ingredients, and turn the heat down to low.  Stir, and lid, and put the timer on for 20 minutes.  IF you want your soup spicy, add your seasonings now.  If you want it milder, add them at the end.
After 20-odd minutes, turn off the heat.  If you want a creamier soup, blend w/ a hand blender or in your food processor.  I actually added some quinoa with all the ingredients and cooked for 30 minutes.  It thickened the soup (which I then blended) and added grains so I had a complete meal in one bowl.

I did the cost breakdown and the soup is $0.60/serving without quinoa and $0.80 with the quinoa.  Calories are 188/serving for the quinoa type.  
The next day I had it with some tortillas w/ melted cheddar cheese and WHOA MAMA was that good!

**Christine used Indian spices, but I used Ethiopian (Berber) and it was fantastic.  Spicy! but fantastic.

3 comments:

Zenful Mommy said...

yummy for my tummy!going to try this

Zenful Mommy said...

Ok...made the soup already and YUMMO!!! I didn't have chick peas so used Potatoes with the fire roasted tomatoes and fire roasted red peppers! Blended it all...and it is truly DELISH!!!!!

gruberjenny said...

Just made this last night. Did the quinoa and cooked until all liquid was absorbed, so it became more of a quinoa dish instead of soup. Also used berbere. Whole family loved it!