Sunday, May 23, 2010

Paying Attention

Today I set out to walk 20 miles.  The AWBC is only 2 weeks away, and you need to rest the last week, so this was my opportunity to really push myself.

I had breakfast, got dressed in my favorite wicking yoga pants and socks, put on my AWBC tee and stretched.  I got my water and my fanny pack (yup, I said it...) and had Sam & Gregg drop me off at the forest preserve at 8 am.

It was HOT.  Already 80 degrees at 8 am with high humidity.  But I was committed.  The first 10 were no problem.  Piece of cake.  I stopped for lunch (Gregg brought a picnic) and some Sam lovin'.  1/2 hour later, I was ready  to go again.

Okay, a bit more difficult this time.  It had climbed up to 90 degrees and this portion of the trail didn't have as much shade.  I was trying to stay hydrated but after a while (mile 15) realized I had stopped sweating and it was getting difficult to breath.  Then I started getting dizzy.  I sat down on a log and realized I was getting dehydrated and showing early signs of heat exhaustion.
In the past, I've had ice-baths, IVs and ER visits for heat exhaustion and dehydration.  So I KNOW it's a slippery slope.  I called Gregg and with big sobs asked him to pick me up.  Problem was, I was in the middle of the forest and it wasn't vehicle accessible, so I had to walk out.  About 2 miles later I met Gregg (literally) on the side of the road.  I had only walked 17 miles.
It took a couple hours of rest, 1/2 gallon of watered-down apple juice, a couple of handfuls of pretzels and a 45 minute cool shower, but I'm better now.  I'm very disappointed that I didn't finish the full 20.  But I'm glad I paid attention and didn't end up collapsed on the trail or in the hospital.
This was unusual weather.  We don't see heat and humidity like this until July/August.  In fact, last week it was 58 degrees when I started my training walk.  I seriously doubt it'll be 90 degrees with high humidity walk weekend.  I really think I can do the full marathon on Saturday and 1/2 marathon on Sunday.  Of course,I'm going to pay attention, and won't see it as defeat if I need a sweep (van takes you 2 miles to the next rest station) or the medical tent.  But I REALLY hope I can keep hydrated and healthy and finish the walk.

No comments: